Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Sylvanna

Sour Cream Sugar Cookies

This woman is a single mom who cooks all kinds of different types of food. She gets up every day and takes her son to school, then goes to work. Once she gets off, she picks her son up from school then goes home to prepare supper. She puts up with a lot of things in her life, including me. This person is my mom.

If I could put a recipe on a food menu, I would put my mom’s sugar cookies on there. Her cookies are the softest sugar cookies around. While the cookies are cooking, I can smell it all throughout the house. They’re the sweetest cookies I’ve had, and I’ve had a lot of cookies. These cookies are roll-out Christmas cookies so they make me think about the Christmas holidays and the time we spend together during the holidays.

The cookies have sour cream in them, so people think, “Ew!” But I can’t even taste the sour cream. When preparing the cookies, prepare the batter and refrigerate it. Once they have been in there for about 3 hours, roll out the cookies and cut them out with Christmas cookie cutters. The dishes used for this are cookie sheets and containers used to store them. That is if there’s any left to store after they’re made.

When my mom and I make these together, I feel it’s our time together. So when making these cookies, I think about our relationship and all the times we’ve made it. Thinking about the cookies makes me happy. There is a secret ingredient only mom and I know. I hope to keep this a family secret and share it with my children some day.

I’ll continue making these at Christmas time every year, even after my mom is gone. I hope to make more memories with these cookies before that day comes.
=======================


6 c. flour, sifted
2 tsp. baking powder
1 c. shortening
2 c. sugar
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 c. dairy sour cream
2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla extract
Raisins for cookie centers


Mix flour, baking powder and salt together. Add shortening and cut in like pie crust. Add the sugar and eggs. Put the baking soda in the sour cream (stir over bowl) and add to the flour mixture; then add the vanilla; mix well. Chill in refrigerator. Roll out, cut in desired shape; put a raisin in center of each cookie and bake in a 375 degree oven for about 8 minutes or until edges are slightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message please