Monday, January 18, 2010

Lyda

Mammy's Cherry Pie

My person is my mammy. She is my grandma, my world, and my life. I love her very much. She means everything to me. She is an elderly lady with blue eyes and silver hair.

My food is my mammy’s homemade crust and cherry pie. The taste is like heaven. Soft, sweet, crust with a sweet cherry filling. It’s like chewing magic in your mouth. The smell of it cooking takes my breath away, and the appearance of it is just as stunning. Golden brown on the top and the edges, with a little sugar on the top.



The preparation is not difficult but very simple.



The Crust



3 cups all purpose flour

1 ½ teaspoon salt

3 tablespoon white sugar

1 cup shortening

1 egg

1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar

5 tablespoons water



In a larger bowl, combine flour, salt, and sugar. Mix well, then cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal.
In a small bowl, combine egg, vinegar, and 4 tablespoons of water. Whisk together. Add gradually, to flour mixture, stirring with a fork. Mix until dough forms a ball. Add one more tablespoon of water if necessary.
Allow dough to rest in refrigerator 10 minutes before rolling out.
Roll out place in pan
add 2 cans of cherry pie filling.
put a top crust on and poke holes
let it cook at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes then 350 Fahrenheit for 45 minutes.
let it cool then enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message please