Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Alyssa

Old Family Recipe


This recipe was given to me by my grandma. My grandma was an amazing person. She lived in a small town called Cadiz, which is in the state of Ohio. She came to Missouri for visits every couple years, and we went down to her house every couple years. Elizabeth, my grandma, was a Christian woman who went to church every single Sunday. She even helped Ruby, who was a woman at church, when Ruby needed it.

The last visit I had before my grandma died was an interesting experience. When we got to Cadiz, we couldn’t find my Aunt Kim’s house because it was dark- probably around eleven. My Aunt Kim had to meet us at a restaurant. I think it was McDonalds. We stayed the night at my Aunt Kim’s house, and then in the morning we had breakfast and then went to my grandma’s house. My grandma had a lot of property, and we went exploring and found some amazing stuff. My mom had to get some things in town, but my grandma had to show her where the shops were , and I got to ride with her. I never realized my grandma was such a crazy driver, she went about 65 on a gravel road and left my mom in the dust. It was so funny!!

I don’t really understand what feelings I am supposed to talk about, but I will do my best. Elizabeth was the healthiest person I knew at her age, but one day she had a stroke. She was found by my Aunt Kim, who had to break a window to get to her. She was in a coma, and her family was told that she wasn’t going to wake up. My grandmother died in April of 2008. When I went to Ohio for her funeral, my cousin, my mom, and I flew into Pittsburg. I never cried until my grandfather started crying, and that just broke me. I couldn’t take it anymore.
==================
RECIPE FOR BUCKEYES
Buckeyes are the Ohio State mascot, but in this paper buckeyes are a type of candy. When I prep for this recipe, I get out a mixing bowl, mixer, wooden spoon, measuring cup, teaspoon, and a cooking pan, also with the ingredients.

The ingredients are milk, vanilla, crunchy peanut butter (smooth if you like), powdered sugar, paraffin, and chocolate.

First I mix 1 ½ cup of peanut butter, 1 teaspoon of vanilla, 1 teaspoon of milk, and 1 pound of powdered sugar together in a bowl. Once these first four ingredients are mixed together well, I form the dough into balls and put the balls on wax paper. Next I would put ¼ of a bar of paraffin and 12 ounces of chocolate in the cooking pan until it is blended together well. Once it is melted, I dip the balls into the chocolate and paraffin mixture.

When I first learned about this recipe, it was during the Christmas season. Almost every year now we make buckeyes, among other candies for Christmas day. On December 25 we put some of the candy we made into a plastic bowl lined with waxed paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message please