Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Dalton

Steak Extravaganza

Yet another day of work, and I am back to the dishes. It’s been eight hours a day, five days a week for the past three years; no raise, working minimum wage, but I think that this will all change after the Family Restaurant’s Annual Extravaganza.
The Annual Extravaganza has been a tradition at the local Family Restaurant for the past 19 years, and this year will be the 20th occurrence. At the celebration, tradition and family is celebrated and praised by a feast of several different foods that honor a special family member, and this year, my boss is allowing me to participate in these festivities.
It’s been a lot of thinking for me here lately trying to decide whom I would most like to honor and what meal I would use to honor them. The days draw shorter as I am stressed from this decision. I don’t want someone to feel less important than someone else.
For the next couple of days, I have showed up to work late due to exhaustion from a lack of sleep. I’m sure my boss has noticed my tardiness, but I can only hope he notices everything else. After a while when business slowed, he pulled me aside to have a little chat about what has been going on for the past week. I explained my situation, and he gave some advice I really needed to hear. He said, “Family members generally share a mutual and unconditional love for each other that cannot be explained. Therefore, it will be an honor to the entire family if only one member is represented at this dinner.” All at once, I felt a ton of weight fall from my shoulder because I thought of what I could do.
At the Annual Extravaganza, I am going to present 1 ½ inch thick medium rare steaks that are spiced to perfection. Unfortunately, I am not that good of a cook, so I may have to have the person that I am attempting to honor prepare them for me. That person would be my grandfather. While my father does make heavenly steaks, where did he learn to cook? Therefore, I hope to give glory to where glory is due.
As soon as I mentioned the event, my grandfather knew what was going on and asked me what I wanted him to cook. I told him what, how, and why, and he seemed to be pleased and delightfully surprised. My grandfather and I then went to the store, picked up the beef, and in a couple days, cooked it up.
They were cooked fresh for the event, and the closest to perfection I have ever seen or smelled. Just from general analysis of people’s facial gesture after that first bite, I could tell I wasn’t the only person who appreciated the glory that was these pieces of meat.
During the clean up, my boss walked to the left of me and whispered in my ear, “I know who’s getting the next promotion…”
==============================

Steak Recipe



Ingredients:



1½ inch thick Beef Steak

Lawry’s Seasoned Salt

Lawry’s Garlic Salt

Tony Chachere ’s Creole Seasoning



Directions:



1. If the meat is frozen, let thaw before cooking.

2. About an hour before cooking, lightly sprinkle seasoned salt, garlic salt, and Creole seasoning on each side.

3. On a propane grill, set the flame to medium to heat the grill before cooking.

4. Place the steaks on the grill. Cook for 3-5 minutes on each side for a nice medium-rare finish. The shorter the cooking time, the rarer, and the longer the cooking time, the more well done. (But no steak should be disgraced by being burnt to a crisp)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message please