Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Logan

Grandma

One person I would want to honor is my grandma on my mom's side. She died about three to four years ago. She was the best grandma ever. I loved her so much.

Here’s a little bit about my grandma, Sylvia. “Sylvia” is a name I will never forget. You see, my niece is named after her. Well, it’s kind of altered from it. Her name is Sylvie. My grandma is so nice. She would buy me stuff all the time. Her full name is Sylvia Shoemaker. She lived in the senior citizens housing down by the tracks until she had to move to The Macon Healthcare Center. When she died, I was staying with my brother. I was just about to eat breakfast when he told me. I was so sad. I went and cried on my brother’s shoulder.

The thing I liked about her kitchen was that she had the neatest little placemats at the table. Another thing that I specially liked about my grandma’s kitchen was that there was always a loaf of homemade bread on the counter. She made some really good rotini, also. I would always stay with her and watch TV. She would get mad if I was watching a bad show, and she would make me change it.

Every Sunday we would take her to KFC. Everytime we would get the children the chicken bucket with mac and cheese and potatoes and gravy. We would also get rolls with it. When her health got bad and she couldn’t get out, we started bringing it to her. The chicken was so good.
=====
1 whole chicken, cut up and marinated
About 2 liters of shortening (for cooking)
1 egg, well beaten
250 ml milk
200 grams of all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoon of salt
3/4 teaspoon pepper
3/4 teaspoon of mono sodium glutamate
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
For Marinating
2 tablespoons of potassium chloride
2 tablespoons kosher salt
4 tablespoons mono sodium glutamate
1/8 tablespoon garlic powder
1/3 cup of chicken base and
5 cups water
Method
Mix together above noted ingredients for marinate and soak the chicken in it for 24 hours in the refrigerator.
Preheat the shortening in a deep-fryer to 365 degrees F and mix the beaten egg and milk in a medium bowl blend it nicely. In another medium bowl, add the remaining coating ingredients like flour, salt, pepper and mono sodium glutamate.
Transfer each piece of the marinated chicken to paper towels so that excess liquid can drain off from the chicken pieces. Take one piece of chicken at a time, first dip in egg and milk then coat the chicken with the dry flour mixture, then the egg and milk mixture again, and then back into the flour. Make sure that each piece is coated generously. Keep aside the chicken pieces on a plate until each piece has been nicely coated.
Now drop the coated chicken pieces, one piece at a time into the hot shortening. Fry 4 pieces of the chicken pieces at a time for 12-15 minutes, or until it is golden brown. Occasionally stirring the pieces to fry them evenly, after frying the pieces transfer them to paper towels to drain for about 5 minutes. Now its ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message please